[Newbie?] 'set file'

From: Joe DiLascio (OmnousMan@AOL.COM)
Date: 02/05/98

Maybe I missed a memo somewhere along the way, but...

Is it just me or does stock 3.0bpl12 not allow a char to be saved after a 'set
file <xxx>'? When the char is loaded, it has no descriptor.. which means it
doesn't pass that check in save_char.

if (IS_NPC(ch) || !ch->desc || GET_PFILEPOS(ch) < 0)
                return;

(mind you, my save_char is currently modified to write ascii pfiles, but the
check is there nonetheless)
To make it work, I removed the check and wrote a placeholder string into the
char_file_u host...
Is there a better way? Or is this just a problem I created for myself in the
last 12 hours of hacking? :p