Re: [LONG] [OFF-TOPIC] Different type of pfiles

From: Blue Lang (blue@CALICO.GATOR.NET)
Date: 02/09/98

> I've been considering changing the player files to use msql instead of the
> existing way of using plain files.  Before I decide to start, I figured
> I'd get some more input from you people.

Actually, I've been playing with the mud++ project, one of the stated
goals of which is to use SQL for this type of data transfer, in pretty
much the exact same fashion you're considering.

I don't think it'd be 'slow' at all. If you have ahuge mud with tens of
multiple simultaneous logins, I guess you might have a problem.

Heck, run the mud and write a script to make a few hundred accesses/hour
to an msql database.. That'll give you at least a rough idea, without any
more coding than some quick python. :)

ObCIRCLE!

I have at my disposal many machines laden with Linux and muds. A couple of
people on the list who are doing a lot of work on circle have gratis
shells, and I'm willing to loan them out to anyone else who needs them on
a case-by-case basis. All of the machines are k6-200's, with different
flavors of Linux. E me or log into Rebirth.. (addy in sig)

Also, if you (GG/JE) need a place to run bpl13 for bugchecks, lemme know.
I have an 'admin' mud that gets 10 or 15 people on a day, hanging out and
exposing my hackish code. I'd be happy to put bpl13 up in its place.

--
Blue Lang, Head Technician, Gator.Net
blue@gator.net           352.378.9998