Re: Adding a paging toggle

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 02/09/98

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Jeremy Noetzelman wrote:

> Has anyone successfully added a 'paging toggle' that would prevent you from
> getting the standard "[ Return to continue, (q)uit, (r)efresh, (b)ack, or
> page number (1/4) ]" message, and would simply send the entire buffer to
> the descriptor? I don't wanna reinvent the wheel if someone else has put
> this stuff in somewhere and is willing to share code ;)

Good idea. I decided to implement it. Took longer to compile the changes
than it did to actually make them. :)

I made a new flag in structs.h called PRF_NO_PAGING and used it like so:

File: modify.c
Function: page_string()
-------
  if (!str || !*str) {
    send_to_char("", d->character);
    return;
  }

+  if (PRF_FLAGGED(d->character, PRF_NO_PAGING)) {
+    send_to_char(str, d->character);
+    return;
+  }

  CREATE(d->showstr_vector, char *, d->showstr_count = count_pages(str));
-------
The lines marked with '+' are the ones that I added.

Works fine for me.

I'm about to work on making it so that players can set how often they get
page breaks. Some prefer 20, I like 23, others want 50 or even 80(!), so
I'm working towards making everyone happy by using one of those spares.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke