Re: [CODING] Random equipment

From: X Schiltz (joes@SKIPNET.COM)
Date: 02/10/98

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, George wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, David Johnson wrote:
>
> > I am working on code that will load random equipment into the game.  I
> >have come upon a delema.  It works to the point of actually creating the
> >object and loading it into the game but there is no way for a player to
> >save it so that they can keep it when they rent out quit.  it just vanishes
> >when they leave the game.
>
> You could try ASCII object files.  Sammy is not done so you'll have to
> write your own.
>
> --
> George Greer  -  Me@Null.net   | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
> http://www.van.ml.org/~greerga | is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard

Hmm...is that why corpses always disintigrate when you leave the game?
Perhaps editing how things are saved in the pfiles would
help...objsave.tar.gz didn't seem to work very well for me. I'm thinking
about rewriting the pfiles for equipment place specific saving(I've
eliminated inventory...or rather made it unusable). I was thinking about
doing this by adding a few new variables to objects...like
equipment_place, equipment_number, container_number. On loading, these
values would be set to -1,-1,-1 respectively... Upon entering your hands,
equpment place would change to whatever number your hands are, equipment
number(which starts at 0) would be 1 higher than your last number. Every
object in equipment would have equipment number, you get idea. If it went
into a container, the container_number would change to the
equipment_number of its container, you get the idea, re-loading would be
relatively easy.
Just to get off on a tangent, I origanolly had the idea of making
a...bitvector?...storage space...for every possible equipment place down 3
nests...of course, that would be...well...you get the idea. Well...that's
about all...BTW, I don't really care if this screws up my object files, as
I'm dumping them all anyways, once everything else is done...I'm going for
3D, wish me luck! (:

\  /
 \/
 /\