Non-automated combat: input-activated timed combat?

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 02/15/98

Well, I heard "rumor" of a MUD in existence that used something called
"input-timed combat" or something, but have found no evidence of it.  But
the idea that was described to me just made me shiver in ecstasy of the
possibilities it could present (ok so that was probably a little too
descriptive and more than you wanted to know, but listen up :-)

The basis is that combat is no longer automated.  Timers are still used,
but you use input to define your next action, sort of like using skills,
but rather, the skill IS your next attack (and may affect the delay until
your next "attack" occurs).  Whatever you input is NOT carried out
immediately, but rather held in memory until your next attack occurs.  If
you have multiple attacks (replaced with a system of "combat points" -
maximum number of "attack points" spent per combat round), you could do
combination attacks:  hit;circle;kick.  If you miss the timed input
marker (i.e, the combat round occurs and you have no "attacks" in
buffer), a default "hit" attack occurs.  This could also allow multiple
combatant combat to occur in realistic manner - attacks can be divided
and chosen and called.  Also special blocking would now be possible -
using a "duck" for one of your combat round moves could effectively
triple your chance of avoiding that "kick" coming your way.

To compensate, combat must be slowed down.  Of course, this also makes
combat more realistic, and moves more towards roleplaying in a Diku MUD
rather than hack and slashing... perhaps the long sought perfect
combination!

And making mobs that fight effectively with it is not too difficult.  If
necessary, a simple random system could be used, or just mobs "hit"ting
all the time, with mobprogs/scripts allowing for more custom occurences.

Since my group is starting up a second mud, I think I'll look at this
possibility for combat, rather than event based or pulse based combat
that is so common today.
It would really add a great twist to things...

- Chris Jacobson