Re: Non-automated combat: input-activated timed combat? Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 10:15:31PM -0000

From: Eric Green (ejg3@CORNELL.EDU)
Date: 02/16/98

On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 10:15:31PM -0000, Chris Jacobson wrote:
> Well, I heard "rumor" of a MUD in existence that used something called
> "input-timed combat" or something, but have found no evidence of it.  But
> the idea that was described to me just made me shiver in ecstasy of the
> possibilities it could present (ok so that was probably a little too
> descriptive and more than you wanted to know, but listen up :-)

Dead of the Night (dead.greenwing.com 5000) works this way.  I really
like it, but we have found quite a few people not staying because of
combat like this.  We get complaints about combat being "laggy," because
on the default setting the prompt doesn't come back after every attack
(to prevent spam).  The speed the prompt returns is settable by "set
delay", something you might want to check out if you stop by to try it
out (delay of 0 is the fastest return of the prompt).

Eric