Re: A bug with strength

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 02/20/98

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Angus Mezick wrote:

>      ok... if a weapon is too heavy and you can't wield it, You get a
>      strength spell cast on you and you can now wield the weapon.  but what
>      happens when the spell wears off or you remove that hunk of eq that is
>      +2 str?  NOTHING!!!!

I took a different route on fixing this. I allowed players to wield
weapons of any weight, but if it was too heavy it gave them a warning
message along the lines of "$p feels clumsy in your hands."

When it came time to do the attacking with the too-heavy weapon, they
have a penalty to-hit with it. My reasoning behind this is that anyone
can pickup any weapon and attempt to use it, but if it's too big, they'll
have a hell of a time handling it properly.

I'm a less-than-average sized guy, and if I were to attempt to use
Alexander the Great's legendary 23 pound war axe, I could do it. I could
pick it up. I could heave-ho it around and maybe hit someone. Could I do
it well? No. Could I do it with accuracy and speed? No. Could I really
wallop the dog-crap outta someone with it if I managed to connect? Damn
skippy! :)

Oh... Also. I coded in a small chance of dropping a weapon that is too
heavy for use with every swing.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke