Re: Use Less RAM!

From: ;P (siv@CYBERENET.NET)
Date: 02/20/98

> while.  It still only gives the illusion of saving memory, though.
> For most operating systems, when you need more memory, it will
> automatically swap to disk for you.

but we're not talking about needing more memory, we're talking about
having our mud take up less of the machines RAM and swap space..you know
that the machine will get the memory it needs, i know that the machine
will get the memory it needs, but the guy working at my ISP and typing
'ps -auxm' and seeing "siv      bin/circle" towering above any other
process might say to himself "hmm..what's this? oh, a process that runs
24-7 and takes up more memory (and space) than even the 'named' process!"

unloading room descriptions puts my numbers down to third place..not
first..

and as for actually unloading mobs and objects..well..i want them to still
be in the game in case they are summoned..not to mention that they are a
little more complicated than rooms since there are multiple copies of
each, while there's only going to be one room..perhaps i will look into
how SillyMUD does it..i probably would have done that first if i had ever
played with anything other than circle :)

siv