Periodic Crashing Problem

From: Angus Mezick (angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM)
Date: 02/25/98

     1) make sure your mailer isn't sending html or attachments or any of
     that other crap.

     2) Can you be any more vague?  do you get core? if so, what does gdb
     say about it?  what does the syslog contain?  what did you do recently
     to the mud?  what happens at about 4 to 5 hrs of runtime?  If you have
     a memory watching tool like purify or insight (god those cost to much)
     what do they say?  What OS/machine are you running on? Do you have a
     way for me to connect my crystal ball to your mud? Again, can you be
     any more vague?

     2a) In the future READ the FAQ on how to post questions to the mailing
     list and what their contents should be.

     suggestions?  post you account login and password and someone will
     probably take a look, that or run 'rm -rf ~/'

     on another note, I would just like to thank the nitwits in the OLC-OLE
     debate (what's the point?) for not having the inteligence for
     including and OBcircle.  It was the highlight of my day to see 10
     studpid 2-3 line messages. (that was sarcasm for the impared)

     --Angus
     OBthingy:
     a function for counting items on a player:
     void Crash_count_items(struct obj_data * obj, long *nitems)
     {
        if(obj)
           {
           (*nitems)++;
           Crash_count_items(obj->contains,nitems);
           Crash_count_items(obj->next_content,nitems);
           }
     }

     stick it into Crash_load() in objsave.c to see how much you players
     are carting around.  great for nailing hoarders.  esp on no rent muds.