Re: password bug

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 03/02/98

> The passwords in Circle 3.0 are not working well. I can set implementators
> password to any string and any other user can login as implementator
> without password verification.
> I handled that by reinstalling CIRCLE, but after that implementator
> password is secure and working, but paswords of other players not.
> Can anyone help me?

        Youch! This couldn't be a simple problem.  Though I have seen
cases where severe memory corruption (players walking around with
unprintable characters for names and descs, etc..) allow you to login as
just about anybody - for about 15 seconds before crashing, I have never
before heard of a problem like yours.  Usually if the crypt function isn't
working, its just a simple string comparison - elsewise, its crypt and
compare - both ways make it more likely to _not_ work all the time.  What
you might want to do is check with your administrator and see if perhaps
he replaced the standard crypt library with a set of dummy functions
inorder to allow compilation of _something_?  Or, check if you have the
crypt libs on the machine at all - though i realize that the configure
script checks for this.

                Would like to hear what is causing this, if you ever do
find out though.  I suggest many debugging messages.

                                                PjD