Re: something relevant

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 03/02/98

> OBCIRCLE:
>   I've installed the room affections and they are working great.  Anyway,
>   instead of "Wall of Fog", I have created a spell called inferno, which
>   makes it so that every 15 seconds, everyone in the room takes random
>   damage.  Anyway, the problem:  I have it strcat(buf, "Flames around you
> blah.\r\n");
>   in look_at_room if the room has the inferno affect on it.  This seems to lag
>   the look_at_room function (only a .5-1 second delay, but still!) by a
>   little bit the first time you look at room.  How could I address this?

        That a single strcat could slow down the system that much seems
unthinkable.  Though multiple ones add up, it should take right around a
nothingith of a second to run. I'd guess that what ever program you use to
connect has some sort of buffering system which waits till an entire desc
is filled and nolonger recieveing before displaying, and you're just
hitting some macgical character limit.  This of course, is a guess.

                Try logging on 2 chars and seeing if the other is lagged
when the first is looking.  I'd bet that he'd be okay.

                                                PjD