Re: OLC

From: Daniel W. Burke (dwb@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: 03/02/98

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Edward Glamkowski wrote:

> >> I'd like to recommend it either get its own mailing list, or Oasis
> >> be made part of stock circle.
> >
> >them.. but personally, i think oasis as stock is a horrible idea.
>
> It would be trivial enough to set up a flag in config.c, say
> USE_OLC, which has a value of 1 to turn olc on, and 0 to turn olc off.
>
> I personally would probably not use it either, but with over half the
> messages on the list being about OLC, it sends a pretty strong signal
> that it is a higly popular and desirable addition.

Making OLC part of stock circle would be a probable bad idea.  Not everyone
likes the menu interface that oasis provides, and not everyone likes the
commandline interface that obuild provides (I know there's others, but those
are the main ones)... or in my case, on Addict, we have a mix of both... we
use zone and shop editing stemming from an old version of 'oasis' and the
rest is commandline, stemming from obuild, plus, I developed my own
'security system' for zone access that I have yet to see something similar
public.  Also, I've wrote my own 'hedit' and other things like that.

Yeah, an OLC in stock would make things easier on new imp's, but it really
forces them to go with what's already in code, reducing the choices that are
currently available.  OLC appears to have been WAY on the back burner for
some time, and realistically I don't ever see it in stock, especiually with
the packages that are avialable now.  I've seen some nice public olc's that
would put the 2 'main stream' ones to shame.

Brazil - Implementor of AddictMUD
         addict.dmswebworks.com  4000