Re: MEMORY

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 03/03/98

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Chuck Reed wrote:

>HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!  It's driving me up a wall (as im sure i am you).  I think
>I've cornered where my memory problem could be.  I may just be a moron, but
>now the game crashes whenever any player tries to log on and it calls the
>look_at_room function.  The gdb output is as follows:

You got further than my first memory overrun experience.  It always crashed
while resetting the zones.  That was the overflow in the badname code. :)

>#0  0x805041b in look_at_room (ch=Cannot access memory at address 0xbfffed7c.
>) at act.informative.c:625

I doubt it was overwritten with text, note the 'ff' byte in there.
Probably an array access though I may be wrong.

>Now, NO ONE can log on.  It must be somewhere in the starting functions
>eh?  eh?  Now, if im right, anyone have a good guestimate where this
>overwrite would be located?  If I'm wrong, what would you do if you were
>in my shoes?

Try the mob_proto mprotect() patch I posted yesterday.  If that doesn't
work for you, try placing 'free(mob_proto);' (or whatever crashes for you)
all over the code until you find the place before and after it crashes.  (I
used this technique to hunt down the memory overrun in castle.c)