Re: Newbie Compilers

From: Baktor Silvanti (baktor@BEDFORD.NET)
Date: 03/03/98

Mark A. Drozd wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> After trying to get a coder for my mud I've come to the conclusion
> that I must learn to code for myself.  This is not a bad thing as I
> was planning to do it eventually.  I have one little problem I was
> hoping someone can help me out with.  While I have the gnu compiler
> on the server I run my mud on, I don't have a compiler on my home
> computer.  I had gnu on it, but it takes up way too much space as I
> have a laptop, and had to get rid of it.  I was hoping someone knows
> of a smaller compiler that I could use at my home computer to do the
> practice lessons in my books.  As it is I have to ftp everything to
> my mud site just to compile it.  Plus the mud uses unix and I use
> win95's at home.

I'm not saying this is the best solution...but turbo C++ sounds like the
best all purpose compiler you may wish to use. Its Small, runs in dos,
supports C++, has a decent debugger, and is easily portable.  Other than
that, i've not seen very many compilers smaller than gnu, hell, my MSVC
compiler takes up 200+ meg (96 megs being 1 help file....figure that out
)

If this is what you may want to use...i have the old shareware version
of it laying around here somewhere, the restriction of it is that you
can't compile a proggy into an .exe that is standalone....but it's great
for learning code.