Re: [CODE/IDEA] Invasion/ElectricFence

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 03/06/98

>Howdy.
>
>With the invasion stuff everyone is talking about, I'm interested in
>knowing how often the invasions would take place?  If it's gonna happen
>like once a month, then I really think players will get to used to the
>coding of the mobs and find easy ways to beat em.
>I am not an anti-coding person, but I really think that having actual
>people controling the mobs would be best.  I know most people don't have
>enough imms on their mud to hold a 'full scale' invasion, but that is where
>the fun comes in.  Over the course of your mud's life, there will be
>players you think you can trust.  You may offer to select a group of people
>to help you in these invasions.  Also, you could tell people to organize a
>commitee to ward off the invasion instead of it just being a 'THE MONSTERS
>ARE ATTACKING< EVERYONE COME GET EM" type of thing.  Both sides could plan
>out battle strategies, etc etc etc.  Well, just my buck and a half's worth.

The code, as it is in FL, lets the immortals just start it.  It begins at
a certain time of day (thus the use of weather.c) and ends at a certain
time of day.  The immortals just 'turn on the spigot'.

I agree that immortals would be better suited to control various mob, but
if you want a really good invasion, you need to move around a lot of
mobs.  Also, you will probably need an immortal to make sure that no
newbie players are getting hurt, unless you WANT that to happen.  As to
the players, give them plenty of advanced warning, and let THEM decide.

"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press