C++

From: Daniel W. Burke (dwb@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: 03/08/98

Greetings :)

Recently I've been learning C++ for a few minor projects outside the mud.
The more I work with it, the more I really grow to like it (at first classes
were frightning to even look at) ;P

Just for kicks I decided to run the mud through g++ to see how quickly I
could get it to compile.  The answer is, I've put a couple hours into it
already :P

The single most irritating warning is this:
xxxx.c:118: warning: ANSI C++ forbids implicit conversion from void *' in
assignment
 hehe...
But I can fix that, that's not the reason for this email.  What I've been
wondering is, is it really worth it to convert the mud to c++ just so I can
turn char_data, room_data, obj_data and others into classes?  Other then
'cleaner looking' code, is there really any advantage?  Like the potential
for more flexability in making things do stuff?

Last time this was braught up, only one message that I remember seeing got
sent to the list, and readability was the basic reason given by someone for
converting to c++.  If that's all there is to it, it's not really worth it
since I'm the only one that reads my code.

Share And Enjoy!

Brazil - Implementor of AddictMUD
         addict.dmswebworks.com  4000