Re: C++ (project proposal)/codebase release ?

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 03/10/98

On 3/10/98 2:44 PM, Daniel Houghton (dasher@TEZ.NET) stated:

>Now, I'm just curious to hear what the more experienced on this list think of
>this concept. :)

Actually, I'm considering releasing my own codebase derivative of
CircleMUD: TechMUD (or LexiMUD, or something...).  Before I do this, I
have to reincorporate spells, and rewrite some sections of the code, but
overall, its very nice, cross-platform code, and very much C++ code.

However, because it incorporates not only my own code, but other
people's, Id have to get permissions and change the credits on the login.
 Here is the proposed change:

  Based on TechMUD,  a creation of Chris Jacobson and the AvP Team,  with
code
  created by, or based on code by, George Greer, Eric Green, Stefan
Wasilewski
  David Berry, Jushua Mentzer,  Harvey Gilpin, Brian Williams,  Daniel
Muller.
  A derivative of CircleMUD 3.0, by Jeremy Elson;  and DikuMUD, by Hans
Henrik
  Staerfeldt, Katja Nyboe,  Tom Madsen, Michael Seifert,  and Sebastian
Hammer

I rebuilt the entire CharData and ObjData structures (in fact ObjData has
no sub-structures except for my ranged weapon substructure, which is
being moved to a pointer), uses a heavy typing system (SInt32, UInt32,
SInt16, UInt16, bool, etc), and incorporates a lot of useful features,
include DG scripts, MOBProgs (to be removed), my heavily modified
derivative of OasisOLC, and more.

Anyone in opposition to this?

- Chris Jacobson

PS. One thing that changed was most comments were gutted, to keep the
code readable, and because I had never previously intended to
redistribute this codebase.  As it is, I may only "distribute" it very
privately - i.e, to myself and those who helped make it.