Re: [CODE][BUG] Missed Pulses.

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 03/12/98

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Matt Vail wrote:

>         Ok.  I have an inquiry.  I haven't toyed with comm.c in quite a
> while, but seem to have run into a few problems.  The first problem being,
> that my mud seems to be missing 30+ pulses every so often.  It comes in

Missed pulses are generally caused by an infinite or near-infinite loop
somewhere, and the loop doesn't have to be in comm.c. That is just where
the symptom of the problem is visible.

>         My second problem, if it is a problem at all, is constant messages
> from the event handler.  It seems that in extract_char, it calls
> clean_events, to clear all events that involve that character.  And inside
> clean_events it checks to see if events are running at that time.  If so,
> it logs the message "Trying to remove events inside the handler.
> Attempting to continue."  In my syslog, I get alot of these in spurts.  I
> will get about 10 of these right in a row, at the same second.  Is that

Having never looked at the event code, I would have to go out on a limb
and say that that sounds like a near-infinite loop. Could be wrong... If I
am, then I am. Just trying to help, and if trying to help gets me flamed
so be it. You won't be happy if you make me unhappy.

>         Last question, could these problems be interrelated?  The missed
> pulses happen much less often than the latter problem.  Any reponse would
> be greatly appreciated.

Could be related. I would put money on a bet that they are related, but
only if someone gave me good odds. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke