Re: [CODE][OFF-TOPIC] Profiling ?

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 03/12/98

On 3/13/98 8:10 AM, Pure Krome (Pure@SPRINT.COM.AU) stated:

>Could you please elaborate on what this profiler thingy does? could it be
>used
>to dertermine where bad memory lies (ie. areas of code that could possibly be
>using memory and not freeing em, etc ...). What about slow / laggy areas of
>code ?
>
>Jussy

A profiler takes data that is generated by the program (when compiled the
the profiler flag enabled, so that it produced profiler data), and
produces a table listing the number of times functions were called, how
long was spent in that function, how long was spent in that function and
all sub-functions, and other various data.

Concerning C++: I did notice problems with C++ and GProf, and was
thoroughly annoyed by the generally useless results it gave... is there a
version of GProf, or a different program, that works well with C++ code?
If Prof itself works good, I might go strictly with that, but... as
everyone knows, GProf is better :-) (at least, more thorough).

I'm going to look at the version installed on the server, and the lastest
version available... see if it there is an update to better handle C++
code.

- Chris Jacobson