Re: [OFF-TOPIC] GDB

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 03/26/98

> I am using Slackware 2.0 and I have circle30bpl11. when I try to save a
> char the mud crashes. and I get a core dump but I cannot get gdb to see
> the core file it comes back as wrong format.

        What a 'wrong' file format means with gdb is that the version of
gdb that you have is not compatiable with the current version of
gcc/kernel that you have.  I don't think that is a problem in slackware2.0
unless you've upgraded (which was recommended - both gdb and gcc released
a new version right before slackware2.0 which didn't have them).  In any
case, the solution is just to upgrade. I'd say new gcc, gdb, and kernel
(just to play it safe).  Read the gcc README file before you attempt to
install it, or you will not respect yourself in the morning.
        You might get lucky if you just download the newer version of gdb,
and install that - it will probably work.

                                                        PjD