Re: malloc error

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 03/29/98

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Judson Powers wrote:

->On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 9:03 PM, C^2 <mailto:wicked@MAIL1.I1.NET> wrote:
->> I think it is a problem with the hardware/machine memory.  My question is
->> this, could the mud be causing this, or is it a system problem?
->
->I'd have to say that the malloc error means you don't have enough memory.
->Either the system can't handle your mud, or there's an error in the code
->causing you to allocate too much memory.  (For example, not deallocating it
->an losing the pointer, making a memory leak.)

If you're running from a UNIX shell, you might want to check your
memory quota.  It's possible the sysadmin has placed a limitation on
either users in general, or just on you (some admins just don't like
4MB+ of RAM disappearing to one user).  In general, 'ulimit -a' will
probably help (but, then again, it may not).

-dak