Re: [CODE] Autodiag

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 04/02/98

From: Thomas Smith <ibedemigod@HOTMAIL.COM>

>Hello,
>
>Ok, i tried to put in the autodiag code from the snippits site.  It went
>in fine, compliled fine, but when you kill the creature the mud crashes
>and I have no clue why.  Does anyone have a fix for this or a better
>autodiag code?

<crystal ball mode>

autodiag = automatically displays mob condition during combat, right?

Assuming the above is true, it would seem to me that the auto-diag hasn't
figured out that the mob isn't around anymore, so it merrily tries to use a
random chunk of memory to read it's mob structure from. Some operating
systems get very picking about invalid pointers, some just let you overwrite
and do whatever until you trash something important. Either way your
program's life expectency is very short after attempting to accomplish that.

</crystal ball mode>

I'm sure if you looked through the code carefully you'll figure out that the
mob is dead but autodiag wants one more shot at displaying the mob's health
in it's valient efforts to keep you super-informed.

--Mallory