Re: Name_from_drinkcon()

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 04/05/98

-----Original Message-----
From: George <greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG>
To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Sunday, April 05, 1998 3:09 PM
Subject: Re:   Name_from_drinkcon()

>On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:
>
>>        This function has a bug.  It is to be called when a container is
>>emptied, and removes the name of the beverage that had previously been in
>>the container.  Ie, i finish my canteen of water, and no longer can I type
>>"look water" to look at my canteen. This is all prim and proper, but the
>>function "name_from_drinkcon()" doesn't quite just remove the name of the
>>drink as I had thought. It simply removes the last space-delineated word
>>in the alias list.
>
>It's not a bug, this is a case of the builders needing to be smarter than
>the code.

I disagree. I found the name_from_drinkcon to be a hack.

A much better method is to create a liquid item type and use the extra desc
to give the liquid adjectives to the the drink message.

This also solves the weight problem, as each unit of liquid weighs the same
and a straightforward routine to reset weight is easily implemented based on
the contents of the container.. liquid or not.

There are, of course, downsides. 1) rewriting the drink and food commands 2)
Handling multiple liquid types existing in the same container. 3) retraining
everyone so they understand the changes.

--Mallory