Roleplaying vs. H&S (was Consider)

From: Judson Powers (powers@RJSONLINE.NET)
Date: 04/09/98

On Tue, Apr 7, 1998 11:13 PM, Thomas Smith <mailto:ibedemigod@HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:
> So now it comes down to, i believe, two things.  1)Making the mud reward
> for RP and hack/slash equaly.  2) Making the mud fun enough that mortals
> are more inticed by what is going on than in leveling.

That's the crux of the whole matter.  In fact, if you want to keep people
from killing to get xp, you make the xp bonus for rp significantly more . .
. at least double.  Making newbie quests where if you take the quest and do
a certain series of actions, including killing some easy mobs, you get
three times the experience will get people used to actually roleplaying.
(There's a concept.)  Also, you have to make a mud fun.  The most popular
method is the game concept -- you play to win, and the process of winning
is what's fun.  If you want people to not focus on winning, don't let them
win.

An example, the MUD I work on:  On Morgaelin, there are no levels,
everything is skill-based.  Also, as of yet there is no way for a mortal to
become immortal except through the use of the advance or set level
commands.  Also, the focus is shifting to well-fleshed-out, interactive
areas.  (FYI, interactivity would be where the player interacts with a mob
while not using any of the following: kill, attack, steal, cast, backstab,
or any of their derivatives or related functions.)

Judson Powers                 Morgaelin MUD
powers@rjsonline.net          telnet://mud.dwango.com:3000/

"Friends help you move... real friends help you move bodies."