Re: New OLC.

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/15/98

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Judson Powers wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 10:05 PM, George <mailto:greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG> wrote:
>> The idea here is to appeal to people who like to write the files offline
>> and despise an OLC system.  These people would have complete control over
>> what the system offers instead of being limited by the Obuild/OasisOLC
>> menus to be written for some feature.
>
>Ah, but if they like to write files offline, then couldn't they just write
>the files offline?  I'm sure something could be worked out where they could
>email the completed files to the imp or something.  Heck, you could even
>give builders some wierd ftp access.

You're forgetting the target of this OLC: stock code.

Where you wish to take it after that point is all up to you.  This way, all
they have to do to get their zone entered is cut&paste and the MUD will
even parse it for them to make sure it is correct, you don't have to.

>> I think this would make a great OLC system for stock CircleMUD.  It's easy
>> to implement (about the same as writing a note), gives the utmost in
>> flexibility (though at the expense of readability), and can easily be
>> ripped out by anyone who doesn't like it. :)
>
>Only if you can have more than one OLC system working at the same time.
>Otherwise, I'd suggest a better, more builder-friendly OLC system.  Unless,
>of course, the imps want to do all the building.

Once again, you forget the target, stock code.  If you want to put OasisOLC
or OBuild in later, this won't conflict much. (About as much as writing a
note conflicts with them.)

>> Since we already have command line and menuing OLC systems, why put a
>> fancy one in the current stock code? At least this would be usable, and
>> minimal.
[...]
>Anyway, I'd personally suggest expanding one of the existing OLC systems or
>writing one somewhat similar if anything.

I'm already writing OasisOLC v2.0, but that's beside the point.  CircleMUD
as it comes was originally going to have a simple OLC system.  It was never
finished and doesn't currently work.  This would be a very simple addition
to the code base to get a working OLC system which is even smaller than the
one Jermey had in mind.  Although I don't know what he had in mind, it
seems sort of like OBuild, which leaves little point in extending the
current olc.c set.

Would you rather have something partially done or something that works?

(No offense to Jeremy of course, OLC is about the last priority.)