[IDEA] Wilderness & Map

From: Carlo Mocci (mocci@TIN.IT)
Date: 04/20/98

In our effort to make our MUD more attractive, we've decided to implement a
map - wilderness system that shows to the player an ASCII map instead of
showing the room description when he decides to travel around the world.

It is similar to many CRPG, where you have a wilderness and some cities
(little cities in the map...). You go over the city and enter it...
It was like this in Bard's Tale, Ultima IV (Ultima V I don't remember) and
the like.

So my question is: has anyone implemented something like this, or even
thought of a way to do it ? I'm thinking about this issue from one month
now, and I'm ready to start the coding.
But if anyone has ideas to give, these will be helpful.

For now, my decision is to use prototypes for room description, in the way
we don't use too much memory. But other ideas ?
And what about the file format in which to store maps ? Just plain ASCII ?
How to link zones and mobs to the map (I want a populated wilderness, not
an empty one).

BTW I've checked the mailing list archives, but I cannot find anything
(under map and wilderness).

PPS The list server at http://post.queensu.ca/~listserv/wwwarch/circle.html
isn't working....

TIA