Re: Circlemud design issues

From: Daniel W. Burke (dwb@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: 04/21/98

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, James Turner wrote:

> George <greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG> writes:
>
> > >Circle isn't C++.  gcc takes quite a bit of memory, regardless of the
> > >size of the file.  It has a good deal of overhead.
> >
> > A 486 with 4MB of RAM or even 8MB would enjoy less memory used. Granted you
> > wouldn't run the MUD on it but people may still develop on it.
>
> That is very much my point.  Not so much peoples' machines, but
> instead, the servers the muds are running on.  I still highly doubt,
> though that the headers will cause a problem.  I'd say every .c file
> in stock ends up including maybe 80% of the headers, by line.  But
> that could br wrong, just a hunch.

Servers that people run muds are are very much an issue when it comes to
speed.  Your aregument is invalid in many cases.  For several months, early
in AddictMUD's existance, we ran on a P90 with 8megs of memory, and had a
noticable amount of players, and it ran pretty good... but god forbid I
compiled the mud when people were playing!  The fewer files that needed
recompiling the better!

Remember, there's a LOT of old computers out there still, regardless of the
price to upgrade or buy a new one, and some people just don't deem the cost
worth upgrading a PC that is still in working order, and muds will run on a
few of them.

Most of your arguments, while prehaps valid, seem extreme.  Circle is not
intended to be the BE-ALL-END-ALL of a mud, it's called a code-BASE for a
reason.  Many of the things you suggested would turn many people away from
circle.

Share And Enjoy!

Brazil - Implementor of AddictMUD
         addict.dmswebworks.com  4000