Re: Spell Targets

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 04/23/98

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Angus Mezick wrote:

> Well, we all know that spells can be targeted at char's and obj's.  but what
> about rooms and doors?  I am trying to make a knock spell, but i am also trying
> to avoid passing the direction pointer around.  what i am leaning towards is
> either adding the tdoor and troom along side the tch and tobj, or just go ahead
> and put all four of them in to a tstruct and work it from there.  Has anyone
> done this and have suggestions?  We have delayed spells that do a countdown
> between cast_spell and call_magic.

I coded them as manual spells and used George's idea for spell
arguements. If you'll hit his page of patches, you'll find on there for
spell arguements. When I played with the idea, he had it listed under
"experimental", but should have moved it from there since there.

It worked quite well.

I also did the same thing for the ones that target the room, the few
spells that give the room affects, assume that the target is the room.
There is a "room affects" snippet out there somewhere. I think it's on
Alex's list of snippets. Works pretty well too.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

  -- Arthur C. Clarke