Re: Circlemud design issues

From: Tony Maro (tmaro@TACSYS.COM)
Date: 04/24/98

George, maybe I'm ignorant... but why would you CARE if they were cached until
after they log in?  That's the point of a CACHE, otherwise just make a 100 MB
RAM Drive and load it ALL into memory...

I think that the argument for compression could go both ways, but I think it
really depends on the system you are using.  If it's a dual-processor P300
running NT (or Unix equivalent system) then yeah, compression should improve
performance some (but would you notice on that system?)  If it's a 486 running
Windows 95 - I doubt the processor could keep up under the load.  A good
SCSI HD make the point sort of moot, so why waste time programming it when
$250 would do the same job?  My time's worth more than that.  I could spend
more time ranting on this list, for instance.

If you really believe that drive access / transfer time is your MUD bottleneck,
then there are easier ways to fix it than compression.

-Tony