Re: Circlemud design issues

From: Del (Panther) (caminturn@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 04/24/98

Rob Baumstark wrote:

>    I'd like to suggest a third alternative for storing players (It has been
> mentioned before, but I think it should be again here.)  What about storing
> everything in an external SQL database?  There are plenty of free small and

There may be a lot of small inexpensive SQL databases out there, but how
many
admins know how to set up and use the SQL server
Utilities/functions/etc.

Having a SQL server tossed at me and had to setup and configure it was
NO PICNIC!

I will say this much, It would be nice to have the features of that. BUT
(note:
the size of that BUT is HUGE!!!) The use of another Database/program is
one thing
I think MUD is known not to do. i.e. it is not dependant upon any other
software
for running.
How would anyone be able install a SQL database on Windows 95? to my
knowledge
there are NONE that are available. Microsoft's SQL Server has to be
installed
on an NT machine. And unless someone knows of another Server program
that will
run on a Windows 95 Machine.. the possiblities of stock mud running off
of SQL would
be slim to none.. IMO..

Hope that sheds a little light on some things