Re: bitvector question

From: Angus Mezick (angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM)
Date: 04/28/98

 C=A^B other wise known as exclusive or (XOR)

  if this isn't what you need, could you supply a truth table for us to look
over?

  1  0  A
1 0  1

0 1  0

--Angus
Subject: Re:  bitvector question
Author:  INTERNET:CIRCLE@POST.QUEENSU.CA at CSERVE
Date:    4/28/98 4:11 PM

>Is there an easy way to compare two bitvectors and find what the difference
>is between the two?

If your bitvectors are normal ints, then for your example, simply
subtracting B's affects from A's affects will give you the value of all
the affects A has that B does not.  Of course, if B has affects that
A does not, you'll get garbage.  The function you described is probably
a fairly decent general case and should be reasonably efficient.  I would
suspect there is something inordinately clever you could pull off, but I
can't think of it.

- Nasri.