Re: More Directions Please [NEWBIE]

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/30/98

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Daniel Koepke wrote:

>->Personally I still think its better to have all exits coded with the option
>->to exclude should you so choose.
>
>I completely disagree with this design philosophy.  It's much easier
>to add things than to remove them (in general), and CircleMUD
>shouldn't start supplying features and saying, "Take them out if you
>don't want them."  It's for the MUD coder to add features like this if
>they want them, not Jeremy.

There's a certain limit to that philosophy.  I general throw in what I
think the majority wants and then the minority can remove it.  Obviously we
don't want features most people are just going to remove. (Although I think
level titles fall under this category, they are a historic relic at the
moment.)

>->I also disagree with this also in that I believe if used correctly they do
>->make for more realistic worlds, e.g. to get to ne IRL, you don't go n and
>->then e, you go ne...
>
>Well, IRL, unless you have a compass or can tell direction by the
>position of stars or the sun, you don't move using the cardinal
>directions at all.  And frankly, there's no reason to add "northeast"
>if it's just going to be the same as "n;e".

(Cincinnati, Ohio)

I go by the streets if I need cardinal directions.  I know US27 runs
basically North/South and that I-275 runs basically East/West,
perpendicular to I-75 and I-71 which are (mostly) north/south.

Generally:
        Odd numbers are North/South.    (I-75, I-71, I-471, US27, US127)
        Even numbers are East/West.     (I-74, SR126)

Although there are instances where "US27 North" = "SR126 West", it's not
for the majority of its life.

A little street trivia....like the blue (not yellow) reflectors in the road
are generally put in near fire hydrants to aid the fire department at
night.

In short, compasses aren't necessary if you know the terrain and don't
need exact precision. :)