Re: More Directions Please [NEWBIE]

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 05/02/98

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Del Minturn wrote:

>Daniel Koepke wrote:
>> Well, I assumed that because most CircleMUDs I've seen don't have
>
>You know what they say about the word "Assume"??

ass-u-me

However, in this case you cannot do anything other than 'assume' something.
(Well, I suppose you could take two months out for a poll, but that's
unlikely.)

>> I completely disagree with this design philosophy.  It's much easier
>> to add things than to remove them (in general), and CircleMUD
>
>It is MUCH easier to not use the exits than it is to add them in.
>How much coding does it take NOT to use something?

How much memory is wasted by the feature you are not (and will never) use?
If you don't need it, you get rid of it.  Sort of like cleaning a house.

>> shouldn't start supplying features and saying, "Take them out if you
>> don't want them."  It's for the MUD coder to add features like this if
>> they want them, not Jeremy.
>
>Tell Microsoft this fact! :)

Microsoft gets paid to add features for everyone.  The point of CircleMUD
is to be a base for other people to add upon.  And I don't get paid
anything for this.

>And, the designers have the final say on what goes in and what doesn't..
>Please don't make that choice for them/him (Doesn't George work on the
>code also?).

Yes, but I still answer to Jeremy on what features go in. Like he took out
my 'Eek!' from the bpl13 version string. :)

>Everyone has thier oppinions and so far, I have only seen two against
>it.. and several for it.. other things to consider.. some muds may have
>trouble installing the extra exits, and or have not put them in, or you
>just were not in an area which utilized them. Who knows..

Trouble installing the extra exits?  It's trivial, and if the MUD really
needs them, the staff should be able to figure out, "Hey! We need more
exits, lets add combinations!"  Isn't that the idea of a MUD codebase?