Re: [CODE] [NEWBIE] do_look crashing MUD! :-(

From: JWoodsIII (JWoodsIII@AOL.COM)
Date: 05/02/98

In a message dated 98-05-02 16:04:21 EDT, George writes:

<< There is a certain point at which people get tired of the 'My MUD crashes
 when I do this. Why?' bug reports.  I don't have your original bug report
 handy so I'm judging that based on the above comment.  Solution is to run
 it under the appropriate debugger, tell us the line it crashes, what the
 variables in that function were when it crashed, and the lines of code
 around where it crashed.  If you don't have any of that information, you'll
 be lucky to get more information than a shot in the dark unless it has been
 encountered before. >>

That wasn't the type as far as I can tell...I DID send in the debug stuff. I
ran it under MSVC++ 5.0's debugger. Here it is again.

Loaded 'C:\MPRPG\CIRCLMUD\CIRCLE30\circle.exe', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL', no matching symbolic information
found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL', no matching symbolic information
found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL', no matching symbolic information
found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL', no matching symbolic information
found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL', no matching symbolic information
found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL', no matching symbolic information
found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\URL.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
First-chance exception in circle.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, MSVC5 doesn't have the ability to tell me
what line in the code it was. It just gives me those error messages. If you
can explain HOW to use the debugger (i can't open the tutorial because it
crashes my computer) then I will be glad to give you as much info as you need.

-JW