Lack of core dumps.

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 05/24/98

Greetings,
        I recently trashed Slackware 3.3 and went with Red Hat 5.0 and
since the move I have not had any core files appearing. I didn't notice
in the past because the coding that I had done was stable and that that
wasn't was easy to debug without needing gdb. I've hit a spot where I need
the coredump so I can debug some new code.

I've seen this question before and checked the things that others were
told to check and have come up with no improvements on the situation.
Here's some info for you:

spear@pangea:~/mud$ quota -v
Disk quotas for user spear (uid 502): none

spear@pangea:~/mud$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)  1000000
data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
file size (blocks)       unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
stack size (kbytes)      8192
cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
max user processes       256
pipe size (512 bytes)    8
open files               256
virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343

As you can see, quotas are off and core dumps are allowed. I have tried
increasing the core file size with no good results. Could someone please
point out something that I may have overlooked or been ignorant of.

PS: Kernel: 2.0.32 (don't teardrop me or I'll pee on you. [haven't had
time to upgrade to 2.0.33 w/patches])

Thanks to those of you that help,

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke