Re: [GENERAL] Bandwith

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 05/30/98

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Ghost Shaidan wrote:

->I once got a return mail from Jeremy on this question saying that it took
->up about 1kb per second per person.  I have also heard that the BPL12 has
->some nice packet reduction code in it (or changes oto the existing code to
->make it mnore efficient) that reduces the communications stream by20-30%.

See the ChangeLog for bpl12.  Jeremy sites Van Jacobson's tcpdump tool
as his source for statistics (pre and post change), so that might be
something to look into for getting more detailed statistics than
George's byte written count.

IMO, the new way of prompt handling makes more sense (just append it
to the regular output if the player is getting it, that way we don't
have to call a seperate write() for each player that got output).

-dak