[DG][Compile Problem]

From: baktor (baktor@BEDFORD.NET)
Date: 06/05/98

lo:

recently i decided to try out the dg stuff to see if i'd like it or not
so i downloaded stock 12 and the dg_with_oasis1_6a_pl3.pat.  I
handpatched it in as I was definately interested in the internal
workings of it.  I got the whole thing in and got it compiled the whole
way down to dg_scripts.c (this being over halfway in my makefile).
While compiling dg_scripts.c I get the following error:

        cl -c /nologo /I. /I\MSDEV\INCLUDE dg_scripts.c
dg_scripts.c
dg_scripts.c(128) : warning C4129: 'e' : unrecognized character escape
sequence
dg_scripts.c(154) : warning C4129: 'e' : unrecognized character escape
sequence
dg_scripts.c(231) : warning C4129: 'e' : unrecognized character escape
sequence
dg_scripts.c(256) : warning C4129: 'e' : unrecognized character escape
sequence
dg_scripts.c(280) : warning C4129: 'e' : unrecognized character escape
sequence

so i took a look at line 128:

obj_data *get_obj_in_list(char *name, obj_data *list)
{
    obj_data *i;
    long id;
    if (*name == UID_CHAR)      /*Line 128*/
    {
        id = atoi(name + 1);

        for (i = list; i; i = i->next_content)
            if (id == GET_ID(i))
                return i;
    }
    else

so I went looking for *name and UID_CHAR:

the *name is in the section: obj_data *get_obj_in_list(char *name,
obj_data *list)
and the UID_CHAR is in dg_scripts.h:

/* Macros for scripts */

#define UID_CHAR   '\e'  /*UID_CHAR DEFINED HERE :P*/

#define GET_TRIG_NAME(t)          ((t)->name)

now then, the if statement tries to compare *name to UID_CHAR, *name
being a single char ...so this means UID_CHAR must also be single
char...which seems to be the problem, correct?  what is \e?  I've looked
in all my C books and i haven't found some obsolete character escape
sequence that this might be.  My compiler chokes on it (win95, what's
new) and now i'm stuck sitting on my thumb.  I assume this is what he
intended UID_CHAR to be, could somebody enlighten me on what it is and
so forth so i can at least make some feasible fix?  (I did email the
heilpern@mindspring.com which is on one of the dg sites) I hope i've
given enough code/synopsis on this as I truely am stuck on this one.

Thanks in advance:

Baktor Silvanti