[Newbie] Strength & Cleric Restrict

From: Lord Kyu (shapeshifter@TKA.COM)
Date: 06/13/98

        Yes, this is very newbie way to fix the strength problem, but I thought I
would post it for other newbies on this list who might be interested in it.
If anyone has an alternative way to fix this, or a better way please let me
know, I would be interested in checking it out. Thanks for your time.

---------------
In magic.c (before change)
---------------

  case SPELL_STRENGTH:
    af[0].location = APPLY_STR;
    af[0].duration = (GET_LEVEL(ch) >> 1) + 4;
    af[0].modifier = 1 + (level > 18);
    accum_duration = TRUE;
    accum_affect = TRUE;
    to_vict = "You feel stronger!";
    break;

---------------
In magic.c (before change)
---------------

  case SPELL_STRENGTH:
    af[0].location = APPLY_STR;
    af[0].duration = (GET_LEVEL(ch) >> 1) + 4;
    af[0].modifier = 1 + (level > 18);
    accum_duration = TRUE;
    if (GET_ADD(victim) <= 100)
      accum_affect = FALSE;
    else
      accum_affect = TRUE;
    to_vict = "You feel stronger!";
    break;

----------------
Thats all! :)
----------------

        I figured I would add a little something here for those of you who really
don't have any interest in the change. Though I am not doing a D&D based
theme, I do like the idea of Clerics not being able to use "bladed"
weapons. I have changed this in my mud so that if a Cleric tries to wield a
sword, or some other type of bladed weapon that it gives them a nice little
message and prevents them from wielding it. Now, a lot of players are not
very keen on this idea. I was just wondering if anyone has placed this type
of restriction on a class, and what their reeasoning was behind it. Please
email me directly to avoid spamming the list, unless you feel that others
would be interested.

        One last note, I know I know, dont worry, this will be over soon. I
noticed that when someone has a high strength based from the affects of
strength, or the use of an item, and the spells wears off, or they remove
the armor, that they are still able to use a very heavy weapon as long as
they don't remove it (do to the only check being at the time of weilding).
I was wondering if anyone changed this and what method of thought they
used. This isn't a request for code, just for ideas on how they restricted
usage (meaning, during a fight it says, you are not strong enough to use
that weapon, or if when their strength wears off, they drop the weapon from
weight).

- Lord Kyu -