Re: Problems with copying objects

From: John Evans (evansj@DATAWEST.NET)
Date: 06/14/98

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, John Evans wrote:

>         I am trying to copy one obj vnum to another with a 'simple'
> command-line process like: ocopy <orig vnum> <target vnum>
> If the target does not exist, then it is created. I have the creation of

{snip}

> Any clues as to what is going wrong would be appreciated.

I got the problem fixed. It seems that the string data wasn't being copied
properly from the orig to the target data, so I checked to see how the
mobiles did it, and copied that style by free'ing all the strings, copying
the orig to target and then str_dup'ing the orig's strings to the target.

What I don't understand is why almost identical code in
oedit_save_internally works just fine. Got me puzzled!

Now that I have a fully functional mcopy, rcopy and ocopy command (along
with proper create_new_XXX() functions), I'm going to pass it on to George
and see if he wants it to add to Oasis on that little(?) project that he
was talking about that with the generic OLC for creating and deleting
things. At least this will almost be half of it... the creating part.

George,
        Let me know if you want the functions. I'd be more than happy to
pass them on to you so they can be integrated into Circle 3.0 non-beta OLC
or Oasis.

John Evans <evansj@datawest.net>
http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/              telnet://spear.gator.net:1066

--Arthur C. Clarke