Re: CODE: Advanced Mounts "William Lowrey" at Jul 21, 98 11:26:48 am

From: Joshua French (jfrench@UMR.EDU)
Date: 07/21/98

> Hiya all,
>
> Well, I am currently working on a rather advanced mount system and was
> interested in some input or info about previous experiences with mounts.
> What I am planning on doing is adding in a fully advancable mount system.
> They will be saved in hfiles(similar to pfiles).  Players will be able to
> own a certain number of horses depending on their class.  The horses will
> be saved and can be "rented out" at the stables.
>
> Some of the problems I forsee are the POS_FIGHTING/POS_MOUNTED issues.  My
> first thoughts were to just add in a new position of POS_FIGHTING_MOUNTED.
> Now, this will require lots of things to change...but I don't see another
> way of doing it.  If there is, please let me know =)
>
> If anyone has tried anything like this, please let me know.  I would love
> any input on what has/hasn't worked in the past.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colbey DemonSlayer,
> Keeper of Rivel the Grey Blade.

I would recommend something in the playerfile actually that contains a
list of owned mounts, then if you use houses or whatever, that would look
at your list of owned mounts and allow you to take them as you see fit,
mebbe send the char a list of his/her mounts.  Along with your other
options for renting and stuff like that.  This would seem to force you
into specializing your shop system, but that's better than working on a
new database of mounts.

If you are wanting to get personalized mounts, then that would just be a
matter of the mount list containing a new data element or something.

As far as the fighting while mounted, I've been looking at various battle
systems, and I've found that once you've developed the concept fully, the
coding is all easy.  This is true for just about everything I've done
with circle-based muds.

my two cents

--

email:  jfrench@umr.edu       ICQ#:   13579151