A Spell System Idea (using events)

From: Tony Robbins [Kupek] (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 08/19/98

I don't like how you can cast a spell and have it just go "pop" and go.

I was thinking of going and making the spell system work like this:

> cast 'fireball'
You draw upon the energies in the area to power your spell...

During this time, the damage which will come from the spell increases upon
some set curve.  The mana cost would increase until it was the maximum
they could afford or the maximum spell cost, whichever is less.

> release fido

This releases the spell upon the fido.  Any other command than release
would free the spell and end it.

Another spell.

> cast 'summon imp'
You chant the words to the spell, and an imp appears to do your bidding!

Now, the character cannot cast another spell, or the effect of this spell
disappears (the imp disappears).  There is a constant mana decrement,
similar to pjd's mana drain.

What are your thoughts?