Max sockets available on Linux box.

From: John Evans (evansj@DATAWEST.NET)
Date: 08/30/98

I've searched through the archives and not been able to find a definitive
answer to the following question. Although I did find an amusing flame
that I sent a long while back to the list while searching for 'max
sockets'. *chuckle*

The following in config.c defines how many sockets can be connected to the
MUD at anyone time:
int MAX_PLAYERS = 600;

Is there such a maximum for number of sockets that a Linux (specifically,
2.0.34 kernel) box can have at any one time. I'd hate for one mud on my
test machine here at home to max out at 600 sockets and only leave 12 (or
whatever) left available for other TCP interactions.

Any information would be helpful. If you don't know the answer, but know
where I can look to find the answer, point the way and I'll look it up.

                     [ John Evans  <evansj@datawest.net> ]
                     [  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/  ]
                     [   telnet://spear.gator.net:1066   ]
                     [      aka: Zeavon MageMaster       ]