Re: [CODE] In my opinion...

From: Chuck Reed (master@I-55.COM)
Date: 08/30/98

>I may sound stupid being a newbie coder myself, but I am taking the
>effort to learn, and trust me, if you dont know what a parse error is or
>have any idea what an array is, there's no point in even trying to code.
>    Code snippets are not the answer. Learn how to imm a mud first
>before going off, getting a fresh copy of CircleMUD3.0, and typing
>random text in all the free spaces.

Heh, that's exactly what I did . . . . and I endured my share of flames . .
. . and I'm better for doing both.  It may not be the best way to go, but
I'm not the king of money as I'm sure a lot of people aren't, and learning
to code this way is a hell of a lot more promissing.  Of course, that's
what college is supposed to be for, and they still feel it necessary to
teach me pascal for a third semester . . . . . . hey, don't ask me.

>    If you cannot code in C, and you dont wanna get a 6000 page C book,
>the least you can do is stare at code snippets for a while, and
>experiment with them. The Mailing List is for "Assistance" in mistakes,
>and problems in code.
>    It is not:
>    "Can you code this for me?"
>    "Help. I can't patch. Can someone tell me how i patch something?"
>    "How do you untar something?"
>    and my personal favorite...
>    "What does .C mean?"

Bingo.  Also, people should realize that there are other mailing lists for
*NIX and how to use tar or gzip or what a .C file is.

Why am I even writing this?  BLAH!