Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: [buffer] enhanced buffer problems!

From: Edward J Glamkowski (eglamkowski@ANGELFIRE.COM)
Date: 08/31/98

>> ObCircle:  With all of these Midieval muds, ever
>> consider using a timer to cast spells.  I mean
>> spells don't just get casted instantaneously.  Maybe
>> a timer, where at every tic counting down, it sends
>> the message "$n is uttering some magical words and
>> drawing energy from the universe." in an act line
>> TO_ROOM or something.  Then after the specified
>> number of ticks of the timer, three seconds or so,
>> the spell is then casted.

Hey George, is Circle ever going to switch to an event
queue system?  Maybe in 4.0? :)

> I always found it to make more sense to delay them.
> Usually though, just have them say the message as
> usual, set the WAIT_STATE, and then have the spell go
> off later.  If you really want some notification for
> people who walk in later, have a little tag below
> their character like blind does.
>
>Bob is standing here.
>... he is chanting 'hdjhfsknvyurhvskbryu'.

This kind of system can get a bit spammy though:

Bob is here.
 ... he is hovering above the ground.
 ... he has a white aura!
 ... he is surrounded by a red, glowing aura.
 ... he is stumbly about blindly.
Tom is here.
 ... he is hovering above the ground.
 ... he has a white aura!
 ... he is surrounded by a red, glowing aura.
 ... he is stumbly about blindly.
Dick is here.
 ... he is hovering above the ground.
 ... he has a white aura!
 ... he is surrounded by a red, glowing aura.
 ... he is stumbly about blindly.
Harry is here.
 ... he is hovering above the ground.
 ... he has a white aura!
 ... he is surrounded by a red, glowing aura.
 ... he is stumbly about blindly.

Although less interesting, I have seen a system like:
Bob is here. (flying) (red aura) (white aura)
 ... he is stumbling about blindly.