Re: [RP] Roleplaying ideas

From: bat_geor (bat_geor@MAIL.HOL.GR)
Date: 09/22/98

At 12:26 μμ 22/9/1998 +1000, you wrote:
>I have a few roleplaying ideas. Comments, suggestions, would be most welcome.
>Most of the ideas have some kinda question.
>
>* How about a system of introduction? For example...

I have an idea about this, but I dunno how you could do it in CircleMud, as
I am not very experienced with CircleMud's code yet. It requires a lot of
programming, but allows you to add many things that will help in RP.

You could use what I have in my MUD that is called Triggered Events (it's a
Mordor based Mud, so don't expect me to tell you how to make it in Circle).
Many MUDs have sth like it. It allows them to include things that the
player may type and respond to that, without the input of the player being
a command. A good example of triggered events is AVALON. Try playing it and
you'll see what I mean.

A Triggered event is like this:

typedef struct trevent {
char *ifcmd; /* what the player should type for event to occur */
char *response; /* What should be done */
char *condition; /* condition for event to occur */
int  overwrite; /* If set to 1, what the player typed won't be considered
as                      a command by the code. Its default value should be 1 */
} trevent;

You must also add a Linked List of triggers.

Of course, you'll have to make the code that reads and checks for Triggered
events, as well as add them to MOBs, Objects and Rooms.

For your case, also add char *invkey; to the MOB structure.

Now, ifcmd should be set to 'slap dinosaur'. If you're experienced in
coding enough, you could add wildcards (so, ifcmd could be 'slap din*').
The response could be to change a flag that shows if invkey can be
considered as a key for the creature or not (that means, whenever player
types barney, it points to the dinosaur. If the flag is not set, barney
won't work). So, the code would check if the flag is set or not.

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
          _/ _/  .   _/    _/       Jim JMK Batis' Web Site:   `       *
 . *   ` _/ _/_/  _/_/  _/     *         http://jmk.simplenet.com/  .  ,
     ,  _/ _/  _/` _/_/    ,       ,    .      +       `
 _/    _/ _/  *   _/  _/       +    E-mail address:    .       .    `
  _/_/   _/ `    _/    _/  *      ,      bat_geor@mail.hol.gr   .-._
.  AIM Screen name: Irwas   .     * ICQ UIN: 18204204        +   '. '.  *
         +        +      .     ,    '   '          *              |  |
 JMK Productions: http://jmk.simplenet.com/prod/        +         , .'
   *    FreeWare Applications for Win 95 and NT             `    ,.'
 JMK Web Designs: http://jmk.simplenet.com/wd/     *                 *
  ,     If you want just the job done, get somebody else. If you      .
    '   want quality, call me.   `        ,         *           .
 Member of HTML Writers' Guild - http://www.hwg.org/     ,         *
"And until that time, when death won't wait,   *        .    ,      ,
 let each man rage against his fate." - Paul O'Neill (Savatage)    ,
"What a humble vision! To forever dwell by the grace of the sun."
    - Covenant     ,         .               *          `            .