Re: [SKILL] Hide/Hidden...bizzare!

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 09/22/98

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Julian Buckley wrote:

>In my everpresent quest to get skills upgraded and stuff like that, I was
>looking at the hide skill.  Fair enough.  But then I noticed that
>basically, if so-and-so hides, what actually happens is that a (hidden) is
>place at the end of their long_desc when one looks at the room.  I checked
>out bpl14, and it seems to be present there as well.  This eventuates even
>without sense_life being cast on the player.

Note that list_one_char() is only called if you can see the person:

      if (CAN_SEE(ch, i))
        list_one_char(i, ch);

Therefore, if you can't see them, you don't see anything, not even (hidden)

>Was also thinking, is it possbile to say, make a piece of equipment
>*hidden*?  That is, instead of the old trick of making a blank long_desc,
>is it *easily* possible to make a piece of equipment load somewhere, but
>not have the players see it without sense_life?

Think some people did that with a bury flag of sorts.  Except there you had
to 'dig' for the object with a shovel first.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.