Re: code Stuff

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 09/28/98

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Christopher Avans wrote:

>I want be downloading a new bpl but adding ascii pfiles takes a step away
>from stock from what my way of thinking says. Binary files are faster to
>load and read. And if one day you get your mud to a point where it starts
>taxing you box u may wish you had even world files in binary.

We've been through this already in the archives, so I won't reiterate.
Except for this quote from the archives from Erwin:

"Current CPU usage is 2% of this Ultrasparc machine (we do BTW, take up
29mb of RAM, have 20-some thousand rooms, and have executed 8 million lines
of mobprog code in the last 2 days of uptime, so there are plenty other
things the MUD does that take up its time :) )."

You'll run out of memory long before you run out of processor.

>I am making a it so we build on a build port then convert world files to
>bindary for game mud. Doing this I shaved 4 megs of my games usage with
>just me on.

I don't see how it would save memory.[*] You'll use more disk space though.

[*] - Don't know your specific implementation though.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.