Re: Why use olc?

From: Invincibill (wlong@E-SERVER.NET)
Date: 10/02/98

this is assuming you have stock world files. if you dont have stock
world files(ie the structure) then mudedit doesnt work.  also, if you
dont have stock world files and you have been too busy to make up good
documentation on it, the OLC is basically the only way to add
items/rooms/mobs to your mud.  from past experience VERY FEW individuals
will build a zone with a text editor.

then again, i havent looked at MudEdit in about 4 years so its very
possible i could be way off base here. :) does MudEdit allow you to
build with different world file structures? if so, hell, maybe i'll get
it.

i can think of one other reason, with OLC you can actually do some
checking to make sure the various values being assigned are sane and
within limits of the mud.  On my mud i totally rewrote the whole
door/exit structure and it take some interpreting on the muds part to be
able to assign the values. i dont think a mud world file editor would do
that.

i do see your point tho. if you have stock world files, and you just
patch in stock oasis, its much slower building. you dont need quite the
expertise tho.  I used to run Sammy's Obuild on a previous mud and i
quite liked the command line style of building. you could build real
fast if you knew what you were doing.  i contemplated having both of
them on my mud now, but figured the time i would have so spend adapting
them both wouldnt be worth the value i would get out them. and since
very few builders who are looking for jobs these day actually know what
they are doing, i figured the Oasis was the way to go. (no flames
please, if you think you are a good builder, then that comment obviously
didnt apply to you.)

there is a need for it tho. i suppose tho, just like everything else
about mudding, its totally up to the staff of the mud and the rules of
building and how the code is set up.

bill

--
reply to wlong<@>e-server.net...spam avoidance policy in effect.