Re: [CODE] The Mapsnippet

From: Eduo (eduo@ciateq.mx)
Date: 11/11/98

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Francis Hotchkiss wrote:

Seeing this I realize there has been something I could have used all along
and only now thought about it.

A lot of people use the "scan" command (or a variation of it, which in my
case has usually been a skill called "sense")...

It could be made into a better looking (and way more cool) if it generated
a half screen (or one screen) map of the room you're in and its
surroundings. The look of it would be like that of a Nethack screenshot.

You could have several squares, connected by lines. If it is dark you
would be able of knowing there was a room adjacent to yours, if you could
see then you could see one room further (or two) from it and if any
monsters (of PCs) are in those rooms.
If implemented nicely it could also be a skill that was tied to the code
that makes rooms have depth.
                       -------
                      |PPP    |
                       -------
                          #
                       -------
                      |   &&  |
                       -------
                          #
 -------    -------    -------    -------    -------
|       |##| /%    |##|   @   |##|       |##|       |
 -------    -------    -------    -------    -------
                          #
                       -------
                      |       |
                       -------
                          #
                       -------
                      |       |
                       -------

Or something.. This is as far as it'd go, and as you can see there is
plenty of room for annotation at the side (like, for example, legend) and
space for the rooms to grow (the ones north and south could grow to the
sides, the ones east and west could grow in height) so that they could
reflect more monsters (to a limit of, say, 10 or 8).

Different types of terrain could also be shown here:

 -------
 -------
|       | Outdoors
 ~~~~~~~
|       | Water
 ~~~~~~~

Etc.

Once a good code has been done it should be easy adding to it (selecting
the symbol of the mob or PC according to its race, or alignment, or class,
etc.)

Just an idea, I've been looking for ways of making one of the games I've
always loved (nethack) into Mud (outside of the obvious formulas).

Eduo