(no subject)

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 11/23/98

> Can it be tunneled via ssh to allow encrypted, secure connections? Does
> it support binaries? What exactly is easier about it's branching and
> tagging, updating and commiting? How is remote updating/commiting handled
> on a box without a webbrowser? Can the remote/local updating/commiting
> be automized (e.g. as cronjobs?).

        Yes.

        I'm not sure, i've only used it with source.

        It automatically tags each level of each branch of each file, etc.
This is unlike rcs/cvs which requires you specifically tag any particular
version to associate all files.  If you've ever committed a file while
working with several other people, and you realize a week later you have
to backrev files with different dates, from different trees, without
having each particular version tagged, you're going to sit down and do
each file manually based on best guess because you have no other way to do
it.  Perforce is a bit more automatic.

        Updating is not performed through any web browsing.  Updating is
done the same way as cvs's (at least for the UI).  It has guarenteed
atomic commits though, which means you won't get screw-ups like you can
from cvs. (Try commiting the same file with different changes from two
people at the same time.. you'll get one file with a partial diff applied,
and the other not at all).

        Of course you can cron it.  You can cron anything.  You just have
to decide what to run, etc.  I believe that most of the server though has
options for individual projects which mean you don't even have to have
cron running to perform daily updates, etc.

> How sure are you about the free and legal access to the software for
> non-commerical projects (The 600 $/User license is simply unaffordable).
> I am a bit suspicious here, because I've been told the same about
> Insure++...we're using gdb, that should tell everything about the success
> of presenting a non-commercial project.

        Perforce is currently being used as a version control system for
the generation of a new operating system here at my college, in an ACM
sig group.  It is under the OpenBSD licensing scheme which does not allow
a for-profit usage.  You'll still have to contact them and work out the
details.
        (If you're interested, you can see some severely out of date info
on the project at http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigops/rsrc/)

        I'm not familiar with Insure, but in general, commercial products
are much better than the comparable free versions.  However, i have no
idea what that last sentance means .."that should tell everything about
the success of presenting a non-commercial project." Gdb isn't a
commercial project. Its a non-commercial product. *boggles*

> I'd appreciate answers here, as our current experiences with CVS 1.10
> (btw it has built-in RCS as well) aren't too bad, and it isn't that
> difficult to use either. But of course I'm open for anything to
> improve development, and not a this-and-that-zealot (well, excluding
> the Win vs. Linux topic ;) ).

        CVS doesn't have RCS built in.  It is a seperate package required
to run CVS. CVS is just a really nice interface for RCS.  I'm currently
running version 1.9 I believe on my system, and though it allows quite a
bit, it is still rather kludgy and hard to use for those not used to it.

        Perforce is simply easier to use, and has a nice web interface and
a bunch more control options.

                                                PjD